White Tallboy with Bird and Branches Decal

This week I got all of one project completed.  It was a busy week, but a good week.  I obtained this lovely little number off kijiji, and was excited to do a fun stencil on it.

It was already in really good shape, however the top of the dresser was discolored and damaged, giving it a good excuse to be painted.

 
 As always, I started by giving the piece a sand down with my awesome palm sander.  (I also figured out a timer-function on my iphone, so I can now take photos of myself in my gorgeous outfits doing work.  Stay calm - I know how hot I am when I paint!!)


Then I spray painted the piece with a product called "Cover Stain" by Zinsser.  You can get it at Home Depot.  A can is $8.


You can also get it in a gallon - but because it's oil-based, you'll need paint thinner to wash your brush and roller when you're done.  It's MUCH easier to spray it on!

The purpose of this step is to ensure the stain won't bleed through the final finish.


Once it's completely covered, I took my trusted CIL Furniture and Cabinet paint (also available at Home Depot), and using my foam roller, I painted the piece.


Foam rollers are my preferred way to paint - it ensures a smooth, drip-free finish, free of paint brush streaks.
 

Sometimes these old pieces will have cracks along the edges.  You can leave them, but if you're a bit of an obsess-er (such as I am when it comes to furniture), you'll not appreciate these cracks.



I use a sanded, paintable caulking to fill in such cracks, and it works like a charm.  A few years of renovating Victorian downtown homes have led to possessing some sweet skills.  Marks friend Richard is a brick mason, and he once taught me how to caulk properly.  If you're reading this Rich - thanks!  I draw on that skill more than one may think :)



Using graphite paper, I traced the stencil on, and painted it in.


I made the stencil wide enough so it would wrap around the entire piece.


The branches and leaves I painted in a light grey, but for the birds I used my silver guilding wax.


The hardware I also refinished in the silver guilding wax.  I just love it.  I took this piece inside my house so I could take my time painting in the stencil.



And that's how I paint antique pieces white.


Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away! 

 photo Signature1_zpsbcc8806f.png

The 36th Avenue


3 comments:

  1. ok I love the caulking idea, is it clear or white caulking, and do you then paint over it or leave it without paint on it. I think I'd rather paint it ...? And, I'm curious how many coats of paint you rolled on....without the cover stain I'm thinking at least two but maybe 3, so just curious how many coats you actually rolled on.....it is absolutely beautiful though. Oh and did you spray a sealer on it? It looks shiny. Have you sold it or did you keep it? Thanks for your great detailed articles....love your site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's white caulking, and I did paint over it, since my paint was slightly tinted. I rolled on 4 coats, it would have been fine with 3, but I did the 4th just to be sure. I used AS clear wax on the top, but the CIL has a slight sheen to it. I did sell it. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. This is such a beautiful and inspiring piece of furniture. It was so sweet of you to share it. I am re-finishing a hutch that was made by grandpa for grandma when they were young and couldn't afford furniture. I am going to use your idea to paint love birds on it representing their love for each other. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete