Union Jack Dresser

I've been so inspired by painters lately refinishing dressers with the London England flag.  I decided it was time I do one myself.  The other night, Mark went scraping and came back with this find.  Sometimes his furniture finds are better than his metal finds.


 

I mean, this dresser isn't super fancy.  It doesn't have a whole lot going for it.  But I like it.  It's old, it's heavy, it's authentic.


For the colours, I mixed two parts Soldier Blue with one part Coal Black.  For the red, I used two parts Barn Red with one part Coal Black.  I wanted deeper colours.  Then, I used Antiquing Wax on the whole thing, to give it an aged appearance.  
 

The top I simply sanded down and stained in a dark walnut.


On Saturday night, Mark and I went out on a date.  We stumbled upon a grand night at Liuna Station - the opening for Clara Hughes bike trip around Canada.  She's a summer and winter Olympian medalist, and she's doing this trip to raise awareness for mental health.  It was awesome.  Here she is, speaking.


Sorry, horrible photo.  Our friend Brett, from New Hope, got his photo taken with her.  I don't think he's showered or changed his shirt since.  To follow her ride, check her site out: http://clara-hughes.com/

And on the home front, here is Caroline helping me do some grocery shopping on Saturday.


She must take a lovely with her everywhere.

And this is a Sunday morning happening.  Sunday's are my turn to sleep in a bit, so Mark gets the girls ready for church.  They LOVE to be naked.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it!!! I have done 5 or 6 Union Jack pieces and they sell very quickly. You did a great job on this one.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete