Side-of-the-road-find - My Victorian Dollhouse

For some reason, Sunday seems to be the day I take a walk down my favourite street in Hamilton - Ottawa Street.  Most stores are closed, but it's still fun to window shop.  Yesterday Mark came with me, and we carried the girls in their bjorns.  On our way, we found this adorable dollhouse, cast away on the side of the road.  How could I pass it up?


I expressed my strong desire for it, and Mark (begrudgingly) carried it the whole way home.  This thing is solid wood - and it's heavy!  As soon as the girls went down for the night, I got busy with it.



First, I gave the thing a thorough cleaning.  It even had some of the furniture in it.  Aren't these mini antique pieces adorable?  There's a side-by-side, ad secretary's desk, and a buffet and hutch.  I'm so excited to milk paint them!

Before
After

After a little bit of paint, it sure started to look charming.  There's some broken pieces which I still have to fix - the verandah pillars are missing, so I have the roof, but no way to hold it up.

Before
After














 I still have a ways to go with the interior decorating, but I did manage to paint a few walls.  I was so excited about the bed.  I painted it coral - totally inspired by Anthropologie.


Photo image courtesy of anthropologie.com

7 comments:

  1. Amazing! I suggest if you need to replace that one piece of flooring in the bottow room try the dollar store! They have those peel-and-stick tiles, and you could just cut it the rooms dimensions and cover the old flooring.

    Great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fantastic idea! I was wondering where I could get something like that. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Looks beautiful Jen!! And haha, I love that Julie is in love with your blog - you guys are destined to be friends :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I have a few dollhouses of my own that my grandfather built for my mom and her sisters ... I can't wait to have my own house so that I can ship them here and have them to play with again, or have my kids' friends over (although let's be honest, I'll totally want to play again!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't love dollhouses? They are so charming!

      Delete
  4. The girls are going to love it. I think it is so cute that you are milk painting the furniture, Miss Mustard Seed would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just so charming! You find great stuff! (Yes, if I would have found something like that, I too would have made my hubby carry it home, lol!)

    ReplyDelete